I'm pretty sure everyone has had enough of my tale already, however with how everything happened I want something written down so I can remember something and hopefully remember the symptoms for someone else next time if there ever is a next time on the same lines.
On Wed everything was fine, I hadn't been ill, we had a lovely time at my childrens parents evening, madam is practically gifted, teachers words not ours ( and I cried because we know how much she deals with and she just gets on with it! ) little man got seen by a Occupational therapist in school and yes definitely has hypermobility and we need to chase it up and make sure he gets help so was nice to get some other backing! And he's very nurturing and empathic with other children... just not his sister lol.
Thursday morning.. i woke up at 6, and got out of bed straight away.. I don't usually follow hubby straight down, but my tummy was bloated and sore, thought i'd just had a funny tum. Though i do recall some sort of pain in the night, again prob just put down to something else.
I didn't fancy eating and sat on the couch with my morning brew like I always do! had about half and just couldn't feel like any more. so left it, hubby left for work though suggested i had some milk of magnesia or something but i had already taken rennies to no effect. I felt a bit off when in the kitchen i think i was getting breakfasts and then suddenly my half a cup of coffee was up. That wasn't good. not something usually that happens. I messaged my friend to ask if she could take madam to school as i knew i just wouldn't manage it. all this by 7:30 am. I had to get daughter to get her lunch together as i was worried if it was a sick bug she would get it so wonderful love managed it we got her dressed as usual and off she went with a friend.
Poor little man was left with me, i felt terrible. I just couldn't get comfortable, at all, the pain across my stomach was odd, i tried lying in bed i tried sitting with cushions on the couch. nothing was helping. i was up and down i had a bath, i felt almost like it was labour but that just wasn't possible! I was having hot flushes, pain.. and i couldn't keep anything down at all not even water! i attempted some ice pops that just about stayed down and mr tried to steal. At 1:30 hubby calls as usual and i said i've been sick and still in alot of pain etc, so he insists ring the dr see if you can talk to dr. ok i do.. i wanted a home visit, but dr said come in now there is a emergency surgery at 3pm but if i got in they could see me. So.... taxi up with mr. I had a feeling then that i wasn't going to be going home.
At the drs she was so understanding, not like usual and said she knew there must be something as i never go in to the drs, never and i said no i don't, so talked through the morning got on the bed pressed around my tum then the right side and pow! hot sweat and pain! .. dr wasn't happy, i wasn't happy and she was immediately concerned. had another feel then let me get up. Mr was being so well behaved bless as he had been virtually ignored all day not even any lunch ( he got some crisps and some choc at some point) dr said she wanted me to ring hubby she thought it was appendicitis.. something i had been trying to deny! Hubby immediately left work, dr rung the hospital so they knew i was coming and gave me a letter to give then put me in another room to wait for hubby.
Whilst in the room mr was given a biscuit and some water that i wasn't allowed to touch and didn't want and we then waited. I needed an over night bag and was trying not to freak. i felt so ill and still not comfortable! before hubby arrived i had brought up bile and the dr was going to ring an ambulance ( she didn't want to because it wasn't a blue light event.. and could take 2-4 hours)
When hubby arrived he had been home to get a bag for me and we were off to the hosp! going over every bump hurt! but we just had to get there and then get to the ward. When there I spoke through what was going on, again.. though didn't want to lie down had to. Bloods were taken and options were discussed as well as speaking to a consultant. We weren't sure then if it was kidney stones or something gyny or appendicitis as they have to rule it out. Poor hubby and little man had to leave to get some tea and madam from a friends house. I was left to be taken to x-ray to check for kidney stones ( i did have some medicine during this time thank goodness! ) Down to x-ray and took forever to come back up where i was then back in pain, i could hear the staff chattering saying my bloods had come back with a high inflammation marker so it looked like appendicitis but they would do a scan in the morning just to rule out anything else and then go in and check my appendix! .. Off to the ward we went.
It was busy! very ... i was left... until about 9 pm when i asked for some pain meds as mine had definitely warn off. Though pretty sure remember now i threw the next lot of morphine up.. was given some liquid paracetamol and anti sickness stuff again and some anti biotics. .. couldn't get comfortable, i couldn't get any sleep, there was too much noise going on, lady opposite me had a oxygen mask that she kept taking off.. that made noise and staff had to come and sort out. some time after midnight and a check up it seemed i had gained a temp atleast 38.8 for one reading so was put on more anti biotics. one of the staff and thought i was flushed earlier and said he would check but never did and i had asked for the window open, i was not covered. At some point it was said my surgery would be at 6 sod any scans.
I then started to shake, like shivers when you are cold but so much worse the bed was shaking with me! I tried so hard not to shake, i really did, but i couldn't. I could hear staff in the room so called to them to come and help. One was trying and failing to get a blood pressure reading from me, and bloody oxygen level in. ( she was annoying, did it several times and tutting when she couldn't and told me to stop shaking.. as if i could! ) they put me on oxygen and eventually my body stopped shaking and they left to call the surgeon. when i was sleeping some one came to take me to x-ray.... found out they wanted to check i had done no chest damage with my shaking. that was 1 am. Surgeon came and said we need to get this surgery done tonight as i had two lots of different anti biotics and it just wasn't working. It was a odd conversation he stood with his arms crossed looking.. concerned. " it's not working this isn't good" so he left to make phone calls. by 3 am i was down in theatre.. Couldn't even ring hubby for fear of waking the children. everything had gone so fast.
I remember waking up afterwards feeling the blood pressure cuffs on my legs.. and i felt so much better like tons better, it could have been the meds i had been given. but the sickness and pain were gone. I can't remember any conversations with the nurses and was taken back up by 6... as i found a fb message i sent to hubby.. at 6. I was told at some very early morning that it was definitely appendicitis and it had gone gangrene.. and there was pus in my pelvis! .. not good. But good job they caught it when they did and that i was brave... I didn't have much choice. I couldn't sit and cry i couldn't go home. It had to be done! One of the ladies on the ward just said, aww you said in a little quiet voice ok.. when told you were going to surgery. I think i was just fed up by then, i knew it needed to be done and i was resigned to the fact, and i didn't want to be in pain any more!
Felt ok throughout friday! lots of meds and i was able to get in and out of bed, but was allowed to drink and kept it down, and a cup of tea ! and we worked up to soup for lunch and something light for tea and ice cream.. which i managed a small portion.
Got home on sat afternoon after pressing them a bit. I didn't want to stay i wanted to be at home with the kids and hubby with my blankets and quilt and people i knew. been told to expect infections in my wound sites thanks to the nature of my infection but on a course of strong anti biotics and pain meds and have to visit the nurse at the gp!
Told not to over do it and i'm trying not to, its been hard trying to get sleep trying to get comfortable and honestly.. why don't they tell you about the bloating and wind? blurgh.. its annoying! 3 days since op and my appetite is not here, .. which for a foodie is disturbing. i've drank so much water and had enough meds to last a while but have to keep going. I know its going to take a while to be 100% and trying to do things bare minimum. though hard when i'm normally in and out or walking or something!
Least i won't get appendicitis again! but i will know what to look for if anyone else in the house or i know gets it!
No comments:
Post a Comment